When it comes to babies, there is no doubt that parents need to be extra careful in every aspect and in whatever they are doing for their baby. The one aspect that requires way too much attention as compared to another is the food that they feed to their baby and the way it’s been fed.
When a baby begins to take a solid diet after a couple of months of his/her birth, there are scores of things which come into consideration such as allergies to certain kinds of foods, whether the baby is ready to switch to a solid diet, the best foods for babies and what sort of foods should you begin with.
Well, if you are a new mother and it’s been just a few months that you have delivered then this article will be of utmost help to you as through this article, we will share some best homemade baby food recipes for your ease and convenience, so stay tuned and get to know what you need to know!
Table of Contents
Foods For 4-6 Months Old Babies
When your baby is 4-6 months old, you cannot directly start feeding him/her solids, it takes time so the best is to start with single-ingredient foods that are in the form of puree or mashed.
Once your baby is comfortable with it and you see no sign of allergies, you can start with different combinations.
Banana is a great option to start with due to scores of benefits it offers like sources of fibre and potassium. But be careful with the quantity, do not overdo.
- Take a small banana, peel it, and mash using a form.
- Use breast milk or formula to reduce the thickness and you are good to feed your baby.
Carrots are a great way to start as they are composed of antioxidants and vitamin A.
- Take some thin and firm carrots to peel.
- chop them into small pieces.
- Boil some water in a pan and add carrots to it.
- Cook until tender and water reduce.
- Drain leftover water and let the carrots cool down.
- Use a mixer or blender to blend the carrots until smooth in texture.
- Add a little water to get the paste to the desired consistency.
Pea puree is yet another great option when it comes to nutritious baby foods, to begin with. Peas are full of vitamins like A and C along with protein, iron, and calcium.
- Take a bowl of fresh/frozen peas.
- Bring some water to boil in the pan and transfer the peas to it.
- Cook till tender and switch off the stove.
- Let the peas cool down.
- Now, transfer the cooled peas into a mixer/blender to blend into a smooth paste.
- Add some water if required or when the puree is too thick.
Foods For 7-9 Months Old Babies
For 7-9-month-old babies, you can consider thick purees while combining different ingredients if the baby is not allergic and ok with that particular ingredient.
Papayas help to aid digestion, so it makes a brilliant choice if your baby is suffering from constipation. Besides, due to being a little acidic, papayas are better to give to babies after 6 months only.
- Peel and deseed a papaya.
- Then cut it into small pieces.
- Blend it to a paste till smooth in texture in a mixer.
- Add some water if required.
Get your baby introduced to the taste of veggies with this potato, peas and carrot puree filled with wholesome deliciousness.
- Take a small-sized potato, some peas, and a few carrots.
- Bring them to boil after peeling and washing.
- Boil until soft and tender.
- Drain the water and let the veggies cool down.
- Now, cut the potato and carrots into small pieces.
- Blend them thoroughly in a mixer.
- Add a little water to it if it looks too thick to get to the desired consistency.
Avocado And Banana Blend
Looking for fibre rich and sweet delight for your baby? Try Avocado and Banana puree.
- Take a ripe banana and avocado.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and scoop it out with a spoon and peel the banana followed by cutting it into pieces.
- Put all the ingredients into a mixer and blend well to get a smooth texture.
Foods For 9-12 Months Old Babies:
By the time your baby is 9-12 months old, he/she can enjoy chunkier mashes and purees. You can also club the purees with dairy products like cheese and yogurt to enhance the flavour.
Rava/semolina/sooji kheer or porridge makes a tasty and filling food for babies which can be easily digested. Try this super yummy recipe for your baby and be assured of its likeability!
- Roast 2 tablespoons of Rava then add some water and ghee to it.
- Mix all the ingredients well while continuously stirring them slowly to prevent lumps formation.
- Cook this mixture on a medium flame until sooji is completely cooked.
- Now add a small quantity of organic jaggery water to this mixture and cook for further 2-3 minutes.
- Lift the pan off when the mix becomes thick and leave it to cool down.
- If the kheer/porridge looks too thick, add a little breast milk/formula.cow’s milk to get to the desired consistency.
Wheat porridge is an ideal food to be introduced to your baby after 8-9 months. You can start with its plain version to see for any allergic symptoms to the baby and if it works then add moong dal and almond powder to it to make it even tastier and healthier.
- Take 2 tablespoons of wheat and cook it with water.
- Once thoroughly cooked, turn off the stove and let the mix cool down.
- After this, add breast milk/formula/cow’s milk to bring to an adequate consistency.
- (optional): Add any fruit that has already been introduced to your baby to make the porridge even healthier and tastier like banana, apple, and peach, etc.
Spinach And Lentil Stew
Don’t miss adding this highly nutritious recipe to your baby’s diet once he/she gets used to bigger textures. This power-packed recipe will do full justice to your little one’s health and happiness!
- Boil a cup of water in a pan and add rinsed lentils to it followed by boiling for a minute or two.
- Reduce the heat and cook the lentils completely while covering the pan with a lid or cover.
- Meanwhile in another pan, pour some water and bring it to boil then place washed and chopped spinach leaves in it for 1-2 minutes.
- After 1-2 minutes, drain the water and separate spinach and let it cool down. You can add some cold water over the spinach to let it cool.
- Lastly, when both the ingredients are ready, put them in a mixer and blend till smooth in texture. Add some water if required.
Oats And Curd
Give your baby the benefits of a superfood like oats amalgamated with the goodness of curd/yogurt with this health-boosting recipe.
- In a pan, cook the desired quantity of oats with water.
- After cooking, let the oats cool down.
- Add some curd and mix well.
- (optional): You can also add a pinch of salt and veggies like mashed carrots and peas to make it more nutritious.
Bringing the best for your baby when it comes to food as healthy and nutritious food options for babies helps in proper growth and development of their immunity and strength.
So look no further when it comes to rich and healthy baby foods as this article is a one-stop-shop for all your worries when it comes to various baby foods options and their recipes!